Sunday, June 5, 2011

Street Photography

Yesterday I had the pleasure of teaching a new workshop at the Lomography Gallery Store LA that solely focused on street photography. A concept that I was not too familiar with but as soon as I did my research I became engulfed in the greats and master of the craft.

  My interest in street photography began when I moved to NYC for the first time (yes there was a second). I loved the idea of exploring the city and capturing it through my glass lens. I lived right around the corner from ICP and worked a few stops away from the MET so I was always occupying my time checking out photography exhibits. When I moved to NY I only had a canon rebel t1 35mm camera and a sony digital camera. This was back in 2007 when digital had finally become a household thing. I don't know why I held on the the film camera for as long as I did and now a days I can't imagine using anything but film but those were my companions while in the "big scary" city. I always remember on my days off taking the train to a random destination in hopes that when I got off I would be able to capture the essence of where I was.


photo by Henri Cartier Bresson

  I was already in the mentality of a street photographer and I didn't even know it. ICP hosted an exhibit while I still lived in the city on Henri Cartier-Bresson. I didn't know it at the time but I was seeing the photographs of someone who people call the grandfather of photojournalism. It wasn't until doing research for this workshop that I became re-acquainted with the photographs that inspired me years ago.
photo by Henri Cartier Bresson


 In addition to Bresson there are dozen or so great photographers that put their stamp on Street Photography back in the day. Doisneau, Evans, Gilden and many more to mention but all unique and similar in their own ways.

I think about how capturing people in their every day life was so important back in the day. A life before reality tv, before tabloid magazines, before leisurely traveling. This was the only way we could see the world outside of our own.  Street Photography requires a sense of confidence that I lack. You have to be able to walk up to anyone and be prepared to be let in or grossly told to fuck off. I can't handle that kind of rejection so in turn I will probably never be one of those names but I can say that dabbling in the art form is fun!

I also taught a Diana F+ workshop last week and at the tail end of it ran into WeHo Jesus. If you live in LA you have seen this man at least one time or another. He walks around LA wearing a long robe, has a beard and long hair. Resembles what we think Jesus would look like or at least what we have been told he should. I tried to sneak a picture as I saw him walk down the street ( Does anyone else hear Kanye's "Jesus Walks" when they see him passing by? ) He saw me and motioned my friend and I to come over, now I don't know about you but when someone who resembles Jesus tells you to do anything you almost feel some sort of religious obligation to comply, I blame my Catholic upbringing. I asked him if I could take his portrait and then he started asking me about Lomography, who knew Jesus knew about Lomo cameras.... It was a weird experience but I got this awesome shot out of it. I think the Diana F+ complimented this holy being really well, and don't worry I don't really think he is Jesus, or is he?

No comments: