Saturday, July 23, 2011

Forgotten....


I just scanned some images from my trip to NYC in 2010. I know I frequent New York City often but this trip was one of my favorites. I remember carrying around this cheap Kodak makeshift panoramic camera I had picked up at a thrift store a week prior to my trip. I was excited to see if I could capture some great panoramas of the NYC skyline, Times Square, Central Park etc. To be completely honest I had so many cameras on that trip that this one kind of fell by the way side. I recently discovered it in my failed attempt to clean my room. I had our lab develop the pictures a few weeks ago and once again I forgot all about the film. Luckily I had nothing to do yesterday night (not a surprise) so I spent the whole night scanning this roll. It's amazing how you can be drawn right back into a moment just by looking at a single picture. In a way, I think that is why I am drawn to photography. It is the closest thing I have to pausing my life.

This picture right here was taken on a whim, I had never planned to go to Hoboken and see my friend Jude it just happened. All the planets aligned and I was lucky enough to spend the day with a really good friend. The same way that day was not planned, this picture was not planned either. I snapped two panoramic shots one right after the other. When I went to go scan them they made such a great diptych that I feel the mood of the picture was lost when I separate the two.

I think I am going to start experimenting with lost photography, it seems to make it more special when you see something you forgot you even had. I guess I could apply this to life in someway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another forgotten roll was found recently when I was cleaning out a bag I had for years. I found a roll that had ripped and I managed to save in the canister. It was also from a trip to New York, and it ripped while I was watching Jesse Lacey and Kevin Devine perform at the Williamsburg Music Hall more than three years ago. At the time I didn't know how to salvage the roll, even worse I didn't know who would develop it the way it was. As soon as we opened the lab in our store I politely asked our technician if we could put it through the machine. She was hesitant due to the fact that we both didn't know how a dirty roll that survived in a pocket of my handbag for three plus years would affect her machine. Luckily nothing happened but the results were crazy, light leaks, color changes, etc. Take a look for yourself ....







No comments: